Edmonton’s NextGen presents Pecha Kucha Night 14 on October 18, 2012 at the Myer Horowitz Theatre, located on the University of Alberta campus. PKN 14 features presentations on local ideas, projects, and musings in the 20 slides x 20 seconds per slide format made popular worldwide by Klein Dytham Architecture.
Tickets are on-sale now via Prime Box Office; charge by phone at 1-877-965-3338 or purchase tickets online. Tickets are $12 for students (with ID) and $14 for adults. Doors and bar open at 6:30 p.m., with presentations beginning at 7:30 p.m.
More than 135 presentations have been given at Edmonton Pecha Kucha Nights to-date on wide ranging topics, from the history of bread making to showing nature’s naughty bits and everything in between.
Pecha Kucha Night 14 presentations include:
- Dave Mowat – President & CEO, ATB Financial | Light it up, #yeg!
- Sunniva Van – Social Educator | Ride to Learn
- Pamela Colleen – Professional Musician | The Universal Language: and No, It’s Not Love
- Wang Yip - Design Enthusiast | Design is …
- Hon. Dave Hancock - Minister of Human Services and Government House Leader | Community ownership of Alberta’s social policy framework
- Shawn Kanungo – Management Consultant | I Love the Spelling Bee
- Renee Vaugeois – Executive Director, & Chelsea Freeborn – Children’s Rights Program Manager from the John Humphrey Centre for Peace and Human Rights | Imagine a Dream
- Jacqui Fraser – Student | A split second
- Daniel Schneider – Freelance Artist and Comic Book Artist | That John Denver is Full of S@#$
- David Zip – Owner, 3D MobileScan | 3D Workflows for Historical Refacading
- Brittney Le Blanc – Online documenter, journalist, and girl about town | Bragging is good
*Presenters appear in the order they will present
New for PKN14, Edmonton’s NextGen is proud to partner with the City of Edmonton, Waste Management Services and the Edmonton Art Council on an art walk of newly commissioned colourful collection trucks in accordance with the city’s Percent for Art Policy. EAC facilitated the selection of three Alberta artists for the initiative: Karen Campos, Jeff Chan and David Goulden. Collection trucks will be on display on the south side of Students’ Union Building, east of the main entrance.
NextGen is also thrilled to partner with Famoso Neapolitan Pizza again to offer each ticket holder a gift card for use at any one of their locations. Famoso Neapolitan Pizza encourages all PKN 14 attendees to feed their creativity.
Music will be provided by DJ Polyesterday.
Join the conversation on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #yegpkn.
Tokyo’s Klein Dytham Architecture first devised Pecha Kucha, the Japanese phrase for “the sound of chitchat” in 2003, as a night for young designers to meet, network, and discuss their projects. The catch: each designer gives a presentation containing only 20 images, each shown for 20 seconds, for a total presentation length of six minutes 40 seconds. Conceived as a venue through which young designers could meet, show their work, exchange ideas, and network, the format keeps presentations concise, fast-paced and entertaining.
A note about ticket prices:
The University of Alberta Students’ Union has an exclusive arrangement with Prime Box Office as part of the rental contract for the Horowitz Theatre. We lowered our ticket price as much as we could to absorb part of the fees – the $12 and $14 listed ticket price on our website includes PBO service fees & facility fee. There is a $2.75 transaction fee that we are unable to absorb as it is not applied per ticket, rather on the whole of your order.
Thank you to our followers on Twitter, we have been made aware of an additional $1 fee to have tickets emailed after purchase. This is the most affordable delivery option. We were unaware of this fee and have been unable to negotiate free option with PBO. We apologize for the additional cost. We have voiced our concern to both PBO and UofA SU. We hope you will still join us at PKN 14 for a great night of presentations by passionate Edmontonians. Through our great friends at Famoso, we’re able to offer everyone who attends a gift card as a thank you for understanding!